No Imitations: why settle when you can have the real thing?
The Creation Story/Made in God’s Image
- Students will learn that humans have a special dignity and role in creation because we are made in the image and likeness of God.
- Students will learn that because of our creation, we are all called to love.
- Students will learn that this love we are all called to is best expressed in a life of chastity throughout all states of life. (married, single, consecrated)
Read part of the Creation story:
1. In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2. The earth was formless and void, and darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was moving over the surface of the waters.
25. God made the beasts of the earth after their kind, and the cattle after their kind, and everything that creeps on the ground after its kind; and God saw that it was good. 26. Then God said, "Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; and let them rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over the cattle and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth." 27. God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. 28. God blessed them; and God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth, and subdue it; and rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over every living thing that moves on the earth." 29. Then God said, "Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the surface of all the earth, and every tree which has fruit yielding seed; it shall be food for you; 30. and to every beast of the earth and to every bird of the sky and to every thing that moves on the earth which has life, I have given every green plant for food"; and it was so. 31. God saw all that He had made, and behold, it was very good. And there was evening and there was morning, the sixth day.
Relevant Church Teachings:
Catechetical Formation in Chaste Living: Guidelines for Curriculum Design and Publication – Part 1, Section A:1-4, 20 (United States Conference of Catholic Bishops/Education
Catechism of the Catholic Church: 27, 355, 371-372, 397, 415-417, 604, 1700, 1704-07, 1766, 2093, 2105, 2331-34,
- How does the story of creation help you understand your dignity?
- What does society teach us about our bodies today?
- Why should we respect our own body and others?
- What are the ways we can love each other as God wants us to?
Icebreaker/Activities (PDF files to download)
St. Maria Goretti